Christians have been meeting at St Andrew’s for over 115 years. Construction of the church building on Nathan Rd (then Robinson Rd) began in 1904, financed by Sir Paul Chater. In those days there were only a few houses in the area. Beyond Austin and Nathan Road were fields. The church was completed and consecrated on 6 October 1906.
Over the years, through God’s wonderful provision, the church site at 138 Nathan Road has evolved. The Old Vicarage was finished in 1909. The Lych Gate and steps were added in 1954 to mark the 50th anniversary of the laying of the church foundation stone. In 1978, the St Andrew’s Christian Centre (a 6-floor building that includes apartments, offices, and a hall) was opened. Finally, the St Andrew’s Life Centre was opened in June 2015. The old church and vicarage have Grade One heritage listing in Hong Kong.
Throughout this time, the community of St Andrew’s has been active in the life of Hong Kong. In 1913, a close relationship began with the Diocesan Girls School, which moved to 1 Jordan Road. The church community has experienced the ups and downs with Hong Kong – the church building even being used as a Shinto shrine during the Japanese occupation of WWII. St Andrew’s has always been heavily involved in refugee work, particularly after WWII, during the 1950s and 1970s, and still today. The church community continues to be involved in various ministries around the city, and many groups also come to St Andrew’s to use the wonderful facilities.
Today, St Andrew’s is made up of people from over 30 nationalities, but is also around 75% ethnically Chinese. We have a vibrant partnership with our daughter churches, Resurrection Church in Sai Kung (planted in 1983) and Shatin Church (planted in 1990), as well as being in active fellowship within the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui (Anglican Church of Hong Kong).
Church is never about buildings. Church is the gathered people of God; ordinary people who seek to learn from God’s word, growing in their love and understanding of Jesus, declaring his saving message to others, and seeking to use what God’s given us for his purposes.